Monday, September 3, 2018

I had my first exposure to Latin America last week, and it has been a completely novel and unique experience unlike my previous trips to Asia. I've been to different parts of East and Southeast Asia where I did not speak the language and could not really communicate, English signs were not always available, I got LOST so many times, and in some areas I stuck out as a light-skinned East Asian, but I felt like THIS was truly being outside my comfort zone. A completely different culture, staying at hostels with fellow travelers, meeting numerous people I will never see again in my life, and yes, sticking out of the crowd as an Asian. We were called China's or Chinita's numerous times, oggled at, and peddlers and locals actually talked to us. I don't know if I would have had the same experience if I was simply White, but I had no idea people could be so warm and welcoming after a smile and an "hola".

Towards the end of the trip, I was reflecting on how my idea of "perfection" kept evolving throughout the years, just as how my desires and expectations regarding "work" also kept changing. Similarly, your comfort zone expands.

Change is the only constant, and regardless of pace, growing as a person is such an exciting process.